Now look at this, all dusty and rusty…
*deletes spam comments*
*updates theme and layout*
*sweeps the place clean*
Better. So, is anyone still reading? Looks like I haven’t posted anything in … oh, just over 4 years. What I’ve been up to all this time, you ask? Well…
I’m still working at the job I started when I stopped blogging. It quickly became obvious that it’s pretty much my dream job. Likewise, my employer thinks highly of me as well and I got promoted fairly frequently. Now I’m on my way to “lead level”, which is a more complicated process than previous promotions.
Two and a half years ago I met a wonderful girl. She’s my best friend, the love of my life, the best conceivable partner for everything and my dearest darling. We married last year.
This summer, we moved from Berlin to Frankfurt to increase the probability of me getting project assignments near my home. And indeed, after four years of weekly flights and being recognized on sight at hotel receptions, I’m now actually sleeping at home most of the time and traveling to work by bus. Amazing!
I played (in many cases “tried”) a number of games over the years, which I might elaborate on in more detail in future posts. I know, you’re not holding your breath. Can’t blame you for being skeptical.
- RIFT – unsubscribed pretty soon after writing I wouldn’t.
- Skyrim – took all of 16 glorious hours for me to lose interest.
- SWTOR – shortly after launch, stopped one level short of the (original) level cap.
- EVE Online – loved its incredible depth, subscribed for 6 months, stopped playing after 3.
- The Secret World – pretty much at launch; it was great, it was weird, it was different, it was awesome, and it sadly failed to grab me.
- Guild Wars 2 – some good ideas, but not my cup of tea.
- SWTOR – shortly before meeting my future wife, played a new character to level 45 over the Christmas holiday period.
- Titan Quest – a first attempt to introduce my (then not yet) wife to gaming. We both hated it and the introduction almost ended there.
- Neverwinter Nights – a second attempt at playing together and first signs of fun. The game felt incredibly dated though and weirdly unwieldy.
- LotRO – we played for a bit and she liked it! I felt incredibly annoyed by the spineless cash-grab the game had become. Didn’t get out of the starter area. However, she said she enjoyed having a nice story, so…
- SWTOR – oh look. There we go again, this time together. We played a pair of characters all the way to level 35, then stopped because we had lots of stuff to take care of (getting married for example). Didn’t play anything for a year and a half. There was a good chance that that would have been it for good.
- SWTOR – here we go again! Having settled in in our new home and our new life rhythm, we decided to give the hobby another go.
That’s where things stand. Let’s see where they go.